Sheila Swearingen Memorial Scholarship
When you are involved with the League of Women Voters, you encounter a wealth of remarkable people.
One such person was Sheila Swearingen.
Respected and beloved, Sheila provided much leadership to both the state and local leagues and her loss is still felt. Sheila was all about keeping the legacy and work of our League alive and we are very happy to establish a scholarship fund in her name. We believe it's a fitting tribute to not only her, but other members such as Jay Engle, who was also known for supporting the development of up and coming League leaders.
The purpose of this scholarship is to support an upper class or graduate student studying in a field related to public policy, government, or the environment. Applicants must demonstrate leadership potential and have made an impact on the community through service to others.
- Complete two essay questions
- Be a registered voter
- Junior or Senior Undergraduate or Graduate student enrolled in an Oklahoma college or university
- Make a commitment to serve as an intern on a League of Women Voters board; or contribute at least 20 volunteer hours to voter service activities
Award & Selection
- The application period is open October 1 to December 15 for the following academic year.
- Recipients will be announced in the spring of the year preceding the college year of the scholarship award.
- Proof of enrollment must be submitted before the $1,500 award for each semester is disbursed. Documents must be received by September 30 or January 31 of the academic semester.
Completed applications can be submitted electronically to email@example.com or via mail to the following address:
c/o Scholarship Committee
1910 S Lewis Ave
Tulsa, OK 74104
Please direct any questions to (918) 747-7933 or firstname.lastname@example.org.