Support for delivery of mental health services and mental illness treatment in addressing these needs in Oklahoma’s population.
Mental health services would be improved by:
- A mental health needs assessment;
- Focus on identification and prevention of emotional problems, mental illness, and substance abuse;
- An increase in funding for child mental health services, and correction of systemic payment issues; and
- Monitoring the effectiveness of mental health programs to improve allocation of funds.
The LWVOK recommends that Oklahoma and the Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse (DMHSA) undertake the following:
- A strategic state plan for treatment;
- Funding for training personnel for community needs;
- Improve access to mental illness services;
- Stop the diversion of the mentally-ill into the corrections system; and
- Increase funding for DMHSA.
Approved by LWV of Oklahoma in 2002